This week has been the Christmas shopping and preparation week. I’m really hoping that, apart from an optician’s appointment and a few social engagements, we can slow down and spend time together as a family. In the meantime last week’s Thrifty Finds were:
- The London trip I wrote about last week ended up with our train being delayed for over an hour! I put in a claim to get our tickets refunded.
- I sold a couple of small items on Facebook to add to my Christmas gifts fund. I also gave away a dozen Christmas gift bags of all shapes and sizes. We had accumulated a load from all the trips to relatives this season so I emptied the presents from them and put them on the free/sell/swap Facebook page so that they can get a second use this month. I also sneaked out some some packs of sweets the girls had been given and donated to the food bank.
- I finished using up my Quidco/Amazon gift vouchers. In total I saved £60 on Christmas presents this way.
- The girls gave out teacher’s Christmas gifts. They had made gingerbread and Christmas spice biscuits.
5. We completed our Christmas food shopping (!). That is, minus the veg box which will arrive on Christmas Eve. We won’t be cooking Christmas lunch but will be providing all the veg, and cooking for Boxing Day. Through some careful meal planning and avoiding loads of Christmas-themed extras we achieved a very modest shop. We also made use of my husband’s work discount. However we still went over the very tight budget. I’m hoping to review all my Christmas spending later in the week and post on it as the final installment of my ‘Saving for Christmas’ series.
What were your Thrifty Finds this past week? How is the Christmas shopping going and what are your plans for cooking?