Things feel very strange here at the moment: an unresolved election result which leaves us feeling more uncertain than ever; Brexit negotiations will begin soon and another appalling loss of life with the almost unspeakable tragedy of Grenfell Tower (not to mention this morning’s attack in Finsbury Park)
It feels very small to be writing about my Thrifty Finds but I believe that life has to go on as well….
1. Last week my husband and I took a trip to Bristol and I browsed the charity shops on Park St, although I didn’t buy anything (post to follow soon on second hand shopping on Park St).
2. I’m still exploring takeaway coffee spots in Bath. I was pleased to get money off at one of the independents because I’d bought in my reusable cup 😀
3. I went shopping in Sainsbury’s and made use of the butcher counter. As a result I got the cut of meat I wanted, only wrapped in paper (rather than pre packaged in plastic trays) and a free marinade.
4. My kids picked up some spades for free from a friend who was having a clear out
5. Yesterday we were invited to a tea party in our village, as part of the weekend’s The Great Get Together events, to mark and celebrate the life of the MP, Jo Cox, who was murdered last year. In her maiden speech to the House of Parliament, Jo said we had more in common than divides us. It was with this sentiment that her family organised the Great Get Together and, throughout the country, more than 120,000 events were arranged; encouraging neighbours to meet up and get to know each other.
The village event was a small gathering and a chance for people in that road to get to meet each other. Despite having lived in the village for 15 years (and knowing quite a few people), we got to chat to new neighbours. There was plenty of tea and cake on hand as well!
Given the terrible events of the past few months (and this morning’s attack on a mosque in London) it seems more important now than ever to get to know each other and celebrate what we have in common.
If you live in the UK did you get to attend one of these events?